<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.natchatproductions.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Wonder Years..how much of this life can we do? : Overwhelmingly wonderful world of voiceover and how YOU can get involved

Monday 30 June 2014

Overwhelmingly wonderful world of voiceover and how YOU can get involved

I tend not to blog about the voiceover work I do, mainly because there are plenty of more experienced colleagues writing the 'how to' guides and sharing other pearls of wisdom. I do however want to comment on is what an amazing group of people I seem to have met and keep on meeting. Voiceovers are an exceptional bunch. 

I'm not wanting to blow my own trumpet as I am part of this but I think it's important to highlight how important these people are. They are the voices that are all around you that you probably don't event think about. The TV and radio ads you hear and watch all the time, the voice telling what will happen later Eastenders, the person keeping you amused whilst on hold or directing you to the right person at your bank or mobile phone operator. It might be a training guide you're listening to at work. All voiced by people like me. 

This line of work is so varied it's brilliant. It can involve going into funky post houses in Soho and being waited on (plus my collection of pencils always grows after a vist). However more and more voice overs have home studios,  as I do, which can be quite a solitary existence. When you are building your voiceover business as with any business it can be daunting and often overwhelming. There's lots of questions to ask. I've used Jonathan Tilley and his VoiceoverGarden.com as a great resource plus Hugh Edwards High Score Productions course are invaluable. I even did a improvised character workshop on Skype with some hilarious American actors from LovethatImprove.com and am going to be doing JP's Showreel character course which comes highly recommended.  

Time and time again I've found that fellow artists are more than happy to offer their advice and that is why I'm writing this blog. 

My journey in starting my voiceover business started at Voxmas in 2012 with Ms Posy Brewer holding my hand as I was going there alone.. It became very clear I had nothing to worry about. Then VOX in April 2013 where I picked my lush Sontronics Orpheus mic. From that day on my fellow voiceovers welcomed me in with open arms. From showing you their home set ups  - Gina Mellotte to talking you through techy stuff Darren Altman, Mark Burford to giving you sound tips on profile sites -  Anna Parker Naples & Natalie Cooper. To talking rates Noni North and helping you out in a time of Adobe Audition meltdown - Oliver Dukcevic and then Rob Bee for fixing it for me! When it comes to marketing every one has their methods and Rachael Naylor holds the crown for her Voicever Network group, which held a wonderful soiree on the roof top of a soho post house, on Friday a fab chance to catch up with colleagues and network with industry folk. 

There are so many people I've met who surprise me with their generosity and support. I don't know it that makes me a cynic for being so taken with this bunch. 

Working as a freelance in the media as I do, especially in radio sometimes it can seem as people are quite guarded as to what people are doing with their careers or because of the hours we're all working you don't always get the time to meet up. 

This has changed somewhat since I have been involved in Sound Women. If you are planning on a career in voiceover along with building your contacts for work, build your contacts from a friendship point of view as it makes the glorious ride of talking for a living even more fun. 

If you're wondering if voiceover work is for you Sound Women are holding an event next month 

http://www.soundwomen.co.uk/event/is-voiceover-work-for-you/

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home